Path Issues

The network of footpaths in our area has benefitted enormously thanks to the efforts of Ramblers members and volunteers both past and present who have taken the trouble to report problems which they or others have encountered and to follow up the results.

Our footpath teams are also involved in practical work helping to keep the paths walkable. Like the Countryside Agency, we aim "to have all known public rights of way useable" in our area.

If you have a problem on a path, do you wonder if the last person trying to use the same path had the same problem? Things such as missing signposts, poor way-marking, stiles and bridges which are either missing or in bad repair, paths overgrown or blocked with barbed wire, or rights of way in fields obstructed by ploughing or crops can all spoil an otherwise pleasant walk.

If you regularly recce walks, or walk on your own, why not download the PathWatch app, so you can report any problems you come across.

You can volunteer to become involved with footpath work in a variety of ways. Why not become a Footpaths Surveyor?

Please take action! If you want to know more, or to report a problem, please email us at

If you encounter any such problems whilst out walking, we urge you to report these problems either to the relevant Highway Authority. Send a copy of your correspondence to the Ramblers), or to an appropriate Ramblers' Footpath Officer, so that the matter can be taken up with the local authority for the benefit of future users.

The Ramblers main website has extensive information about how to claim rights of way, get a path properly maintained, claim an unrecorded path, get an obstruction removed from a path, or comment on path ordered here: